Dr. Arjan de Leeuw
Maître de Conférences Sédimentologie
Institut de Science de la Terre
Université Grenoble Alpes
1381 rue de la piscine
38058 GRENOBLE CEDEX 9
email : arjan.de-leeuw"at"univ-grenoble-alpes.fr
phone : +33 476 514 072
I am a field geologist interested in the sedimentology, evolution and provenance of large-scale sediment systems and their response to geodynamics and climate. I teach sedimentology and field geology at the University of Grenoble Alpes. Most of my research is multi-disciplinary and involves a team of excellent collaborators. It has focussed on the geology and sedimentary architecture of the Pannonian Basin, the Dacian Basin, the Carpathian Foreland Basin and the intra-montane basins of the Dinarides. I have a background in magnetostratigraphic and radio-isotopic dating.
Before coming to Grenoble, I obtained a PhD at the paleomagnetic laboratory of Utrecht University, the Netherlands (2005-2010) and worked as a field geologist at CASP in Cambridge for six years (2011-2017).
Current research :
At the moment, my research focusses on the Miocene to recent evolution of the Carpathians and their foreland basin as well as the adjacent NW Black Sea shelf. Together with the Tectonics, Relief and Basins research group at ISTerre, as well as an international team of collaborators, we reconstruct how the basin evolved over time. We evaluate how the sediment system responded to changing tectonic and climatic factors. Field observations form the backbone of the reconstructions. Age constraints are provided by magnetostratigraphy and radio-isotopic ages. Detailed sedimentary facies analyses are integrated with studies of ostracods, foraminifera, molluscs and mammal fossils to reconstruct changing paleo-environments. We study auto-cyclic as well as allo-cyclic behavior of the corresponding sediment systems. Heavy mineral assemblages, rock fragment compositions, mineral geochemistry and zircon geochronology are used to retrieve sediment provenance. Quantitative constraints on the physical processes that shaped the basin are obtained through numerical modelling. We make intensive use of GIS and 3D software such as MOVE. This integrated research aims to explore all facets of the evolution of the sediment system connecting it with Carpathian tectonics, evolution of the Paratethys and regional as well as global climate changes.
Don’t hesitate to contact me if you would be interested in an MSc research or internship.
Delta front deposits with a cyclicity related to processes within the sediment system, i.e. auto-cyclicity (Jorissen et al., 2018)
3D model of the Carpathian Foreland Basin generated in MOVE during an M1 internship at the Tectonics, Relief and Basins research group of ISTerre
Previous research projects :
These revolved around the Miocene lacustrine intra-montane basins of the Dinarides, Paratethys chronostratigraphy, the Badenian Salinity Crisis and Late Miocene to Pleistocene sediment delivery to the NW Black Sea.
Published articles :
- Mandic, O., Sant, K., Kallanxhi, M.-E., Ćorić, S., Theobalt, D., Grunert, P., de Leeuw, A., Krijgsman, W. (2018) Integrated bio-magnetostratigraphy of the Badenian reference section Ugljevik in southern Pannonian Basin - implications for the Paratethys history (middle Miocene, Central Europe), Global and Planetary Change, in press.
- de Leeuw, A., Tulbure, M., Kuiper, K.F., Melinte-Dobrinescu, M.C., Stoica, M. and Krijgsman, W. (2018) New 40Ar/39Ar and magnetostratigraphic constraints on the termination of the Badenian Salinity Crisis : Indications for tectonic improvement of basin interconnectivity in Southern Europe, Global and Planetary Change, in press.
- Jorissen, E.L., de Leeuw, A., van Baak, C.G.C., Mandic., O, Stoica, M., Abels, H.A., Krijgsman, W. (2018) Sedimentary architecture and depositional controls of a Pliocene river-dominated delta in the semi-isolated Dacian Basin, Black Sea. Sedimentary Geology, 368 : p. 1-23
- de Leeuw, A., Morton, A., C.G.C van Baak, and Vincent S.J. (2018) Provenance of sediments from DSDP Site 380/380A : Timing of arrival of the Danube to the Black Sea. Terra Nova, 30(2) : p.114-124
- Šujan, M., Kovác, M., Hók, J., Šujan, M., Braucher, R., Rybár, S., de Leeuw, A. (2017) Late Miocene fluvial distributary system in the northern Danube Basin (Pannonian basin system) : Depositional processes, stratigraphic architecture and controlling factors of the Piešïany Member (Volkovce Formation). Geological Quaterly, 61(3) : p. 521-548
- Matoshko, A., Matoshko, A., de Leeuw, A. and Stoica, M. (2016). "Facies analysis of the Balta Formation : Evidence for a large late Miocene fluvio-deltaic system in the East Carpathian Foreland". Sedimentary Geology, 343 : p165-189
- Sant, K., de Leeuw, A., Chang, L., Czapowski, G., Gasiewicz, A. and Krijgsman, W. (2015). "Paleomagnetic analyses on Badenian–Sarmatian drill cores from the North Carpathian Foredeep (Middle Miocene, Poland)". Bulletin of the Polish Geological Institute 461 : p179-192
- Roetzel, R., de Leeuw, A., Mandic, O., Márton, E., Nehyba, S., Kuiper, K.F., Scholger, R. and Wimmer-Frey, I. (2014). "Lower Miocene (upper Burdigalian, Karpatian) volcanic ash-fall at the south-eastern margin of the Bohemian Massif in Austria – New evidence from 40Ar/39Ar-dating, palaeomagnetic, geochemical and mineralogical investigations". Austrian Journal of Earth Sciences 107 (2) : p2-22
- De Leeuw, A., Filipescu, S., Matenco, L., Krijgsman, W., Kuiper, K. and Stoica, M. (2013). "Paleomagnetic and chronostratigraphic constraints on the Middle to Late Miocene evolution of the Transylvanian Basin (Romania) : Implications for Central Paratethys stratigraphy and emplacement of the Tisza–Dacia plate". Global and Planetary Change 103 : p82-98
- De Leeuw, A., Mandic, O., Krijgsman, W., Kuiper, K. and Hrvatović, H. (2012). "Paleomagnetic and geochronologic constraints on the geodynamic evolution of the Central Dinarides". Tectonophysics 530-531 : p286-298
- De Leeuw, A., Mandic, O., Krijgsman, W., Kuiper, K. and Hrvatović, H. (2011). "A chronostratigraphy for the Dinaride Lake System deposits of the Livno-Tomislavgrad Basin : the rise and fall of a long-lived lacustrine environment". Stratigraphy 8 (1) : p29-43
- Mandic, O., De Leeuw, A., Bulić, J., Kuiper, K.F., Krijgsman, W. and Jurišić-Polšak, Z. (2011). "Paleogeographic evolution of the Southern Pannonian Basin : 40Ar/39Ar age constraints on the Miocene continental series of Northern Croatia". International Journal of Earth Sciences 101 (4) : p1033-1046
- Karami, M.P., De Leeuw, A., Krijgsman, W., Meijer, P.T. and Wortel, M.J.R. (2011). "The role of gateways in the evolution of temperature and salinity of semi-enclosed basins : An oceanic box model for the Miocene Mediterranean Sea and Paratethys". Global and Planetary Change 79 (1-2) : p73-88
- De Leeuw, A., Mandic, O., de Bruijn, H., Marković, Z., Reumer, J., Wessels, W., Šišić, E. and Krijgsman, W. (2011). "Magnetostratigraphy and small mammals of the Late Oligocene Banovići basin in NE Bosnia and Herzegovina". Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 310 (3-4), p400-412
- De Leeuw, A. (2011). "Paleomagnetic and geochronologic constraints on the Miocene evolution of semi-isolated basins in southeastern Europe". PhD, University of Utrecht
- Filipescu, S., Wanek, F., Miclea, A., De Leeuw, A. and Vasiliev, I. (2011). "Micropaleontological response to the changing paleoenvironment across the Sarmatian-Pannonian boundary in the Transylvanian Basin (Miocene, Oarba de Mure section, Romania)". Geologica Carpathica 62 (1) : p91-102
- Mandic, O., de Leeuw, A., Vuković, B., Krijgsman, W., Harzhauser, M. and Kuiper, K.F. (2011). "Palaeoenvironmental evolution of Lake Gacko (Southern Bosnia and Herzegovina) : Impact of the Middle Miocene Climatic Optimum on the Dinaride Lake System". Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 299 (3-4) : p475-492
- Bukowski, K., de Leeuw, A., Gonera, M., Kuiper, K.F., Krzywiec, P. and Peryt, D. (2011). "Badenian tuffite levels within the Carpathian orogenic front (Gdów – Bochnia area, S Poland), radio-isotopic dating and stratigraphic position". Geological Quarterly 54 (4) : p449-464
- Vasiliev, I., de Leeuw, A., Filipescu, S., Krijgsman, W., Kuiper, K., Stoica, M. and Briceag, A. (2010). "The age of the Sarmatian-Pannonian transition in the Transylvanian Basin (Central Paratethys)". Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 297 (1) : p54-69
- de Leeuw, A., Bukowski, K., Krijgsman, W. and Kuiper, K.F. (2010). "Age of the Badenian salinity crisis ; Impact of Miocene climate variability on the circum-Mediterranean region". Geology 38 (8) : p715-718
- de Leeuw, A., Mandic, O., Vranjković, A., Pavelić, D., Harzhauser, M., Krijgsman, W. and Kuiper, K.F. (2010). "Chronology and integrated stratigraphy of the Miocene Sinj Basin (Dinaride Lake System, Croatia)". Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 292 (1-2) : p155-167
- Jiménez-Moreno, G., de Leeuw, A., Mandic, O., Harzhauser, M., Pavelić, D., Krijgsman, W. and Vranjković, A. (2009). "Integrated stratigraphy of the Early Miocene lacustrine deposits of Pag Island (SW Croatia) : Palaeovegetation and environmental changes in the Dinaride Lake System". Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 280 (1-2) : p193-206
- Waveren, I.M.v., Hasibuan, F., Suyoko, Makmur, Boer, P.L.d., Chany, D.S., Ueno, K., Booi, M., Iskandar, E.P.A., King, C.I., de Leeuw, J.H.W.M. and Konijnenburg-van Cittert, J.H.A.v. (2005). "Taphonomy, palaeobotany and sedimentology of the Mengkarang formation (Early Permian, Jambi, Sumatra, Indonesia)". In Permian of Central New Mexico, New Mexico Museum of Natural History : p176
Scientific reports :
Reports produced for CASP in Cambridge.
- The composition and provenance of palaeo-Dniester sand (2018). By : de Leeuw, A., Hyden, F., and Morton, A.C..
- Composition and provenance of late Miocene to Pliocene sands of the palaeo-Danube and its tributaries in the Pannonian and Dacian basins : a predictive and interpretive framework for sediment supply to the Dacian and Black Sea basins. By : de Leeuw, A., Morton, A., Hyden, F., and Wong, K.
- A GIS database of U–Pb zircon ages from basement rocks to the north-west of the Black Sea (2016). By : Pointon, M.A., de Leeuw, A. and Vautravers, B.P.H.
- Provenance of sediments from DSDP Site 380 : Timing of arrival of the Danube to the southwest Black Sea (2015). By : de Leeuw, A., Morton, A.C., van Baak, C.G.C., Vincent, S.J. and Vautravers, B.P.H.
- Pilot palynologic study of the Slănicul de Buzau section : Towards a biostratigraphic reference section for Eastern Paratethys sequences (2015). By : de Leeuw, A., Braham, B., Stoica, M. and Vincent, S.J.
- Late Miocene to Early Pleistocene base-level evolution in the Southeast Carpathian foredeep : Sedimentary facies development along the Slănicul de Buzau section (2015). By : de Leeuw, A., Stoica, M., Vincent, S.J. and Vautravers, B.P.H.
- Stratigraphy of the East Carpathian Foreland : Implications for sediment delivery to the NW Black Sea (2014). By : de Leeuw, A., Vincent, S.J. and Vautravers, B.P.H.
- Petrographic and heavy mineral fingerprinting of Miocene, Pliocene and Pleistocene sediment delivery systems to the NW Black Sea (2013). By : de Leeuw, A., Vincent, S.J., Hyden, F.M., Morton, A.C. and Vautravers, B.P.H.
- Petrographic and heavy-mineral fingerprinting of present-day rivers and beaches of the NW Black Sea (2013). By : de Leeuw, A., Vincent, S.J., Vezzoli, G., Morton, A.C. and Vautravers, B.P.H.
- Micro- and macropalaeontological results for Miocene to Quaternary localities in Moldova and Ukraine (2013). By : Stoica, M., de Leeuw, A., Vincent, S.J. and Vautravers, B.P.H. Micro- and macropalaeontological results for Miocene to Quaternary localities in Romania and Moldova (2012). By : Stoica, M., de Leeuw, A., Vincent, S.J. and Vautravers, B.P.H.,
- Miocene to recent sediment delivery to the north-western Black Sea (2012). By : de Leeuw, A. and Vincent, S.J.
Crossing a river in the Carpathians during fieldwork with students from the UGA.